The Global Foodservice Focus

A weekly round-up of hospitality and foodservice news and announcements from across the world

The Americas

TGI Fridays unveils plans to improve performance and open over 150 new restaurants worldwide

The restaurant chain, which filed for bankruptcy in 2024, has struggled to stay afloat, tackling many restaurant closures. However, the chain seeks to revitalize its brand with a new vision called the “1-2-3 Strategic Vision”, which aspires to renew diners’ excitement about the brand, with flexible growth and a strengthened franchise system. “TGI Fridays pioneered the casual bar and grill category and continues to introduce Americana culture to millions around the world,” said Ray Blanchette, CEO of TGI Fridays in a statement. “Our focus as we accelerate our growth is to resonate with the next generation of consumers while preserving the classic Americana feel and signature experience that has made the brand beloved in more than 40 countries.”

A Popeyes franchisee with over 130 locations files for bankruptcy

A Popeyes franchisee that owns 136 locations in Florida and Georgia has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. At the time of filing, Sailormen, Inc. was in debt by nearly $130 million, with 3272 employed hourly workers in its Popeyes restaurants, according to court documents. They also highlighted that lasting impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic, inflation and an “increasingly limited qualified labor force” drove the company to bankruptcy. Back in 2023, Sailormen, Inc. sold 16 Popeyes locations to relieve financial stress, however, the deal was unsuccessful, leaving the franchisee responsible for the restaurant leases, according to court documents.

Asia Pacific

HOTELEX Shanghai 2026 to take place this Spring

HOTELEX Shanghai, one of the world’s largest hospitality equipment and foodservice exhibitions, is set to take place this year from 30 March to 2 April 2026. It has been running for over 30 years, offering global hospitality and foodservice suppliers a direct gateway to China and the wider Asian market. Last year’s event welcomed a record 284,581 professional visitors, including a 34.2% increase in international buyers. Building on this success, 2026’s event will return with expanded scale, with over 3,500 exhibitors, 12,000 overseas buyers, and a fully integrated industry ecosystem, to facilitate more sourcing, partnerships and long-term market expansion.

Marriott International’s Tribute portfolio welcomes new 298-room hotel in Penang, Malaysia

Launched on January 17, Iconic Group has opened the Iconic Marjorie Penang, a 298-room hotel in Bayan Lepas, Malaysia, as part of Marriott International’s Tribute Portfolio. The property seeks to attract visitors during the upcoming Visit Malaysia 2026 campaign and will feature facilities such as an infinity pool, jacuzzi, a 24-hour fitness center, and the WellNest Spa. The Iconic Marjorie Penang aspires to address greater levels of tourist visits. Iconic Group executive director James Tan Cho Chia said: “We are proud to announce the grand opening of Iconic Marjorie Penang, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel that celebrates Penang’s rich culture with a distinctive design inspired by its vibrant heritage.”

Europe, Middle East and Africa

Large chains accused of inequality hiding as independent restaurants on delivery apps

UK independent restaurants have accused global corporations of being “sneaky” and “a killer” to family businesses by masquerading as independents on delivery apps, making the competition “not equal”. Some of the highlighted chains are Pizza Hut, TGI Fridays, Frankie & Benny’s, Las Iguanas, and Barburrito, all of which have brands on apps such as Deliveroo and Just Eat, with different names to appear as a small or independent businesses. Independent restaurant owners, such as Jamie Rees, co-owner of Cardiff’s Fowl and Fury in Wales, have called for “legislation and transparency” on the matter to protect their chances at business against large chains.

Health and safety rules ‘don’t really apply’ to Michelin restaurants, according to UK food critic

British food critic Giles Coren, has said that Michelin-starred restaurants should not have to abide by normal health and safety rules. The writer said high-end restaurants were “a different sort of world”, urging that health and safety inspectors ought to “modernize” after the two-star Ynyshir Restaurant and Rooms in Wales received a hygiene rating of one out of five following a food safety inspection on 5 November 2025, three years after Coren visited the restaurant. According to the Food Standards Agency (FSA), this will prompt “major improvement” needed at the site in Ceredigion, which charges almost £500 per head.

Lauren Hurrell