With a total exhibiting space of 66,000m2, HOFEX 2017 Hong Kong, which wrapped on on 11 May, was deemed “a tremendous success” by Clara Pi FCSI, interim chair of FCSI Asia Pacific Division (APD). The show boasted a total number of 39,060 visitors from 86 countries and regions participating during the four-day show while overseas visitor numbers grew by 17.2% when compared to the 2015 edition.
FCSI APD had a booth on site to promote the Society and its brand, as well as sales of the FCSI Kitchen Design book.
The FCSI APD programme included the Divisions’s AGM, where Pi was pleased to announce the election of new board trustees. “We welcome John Thomas FCSI as APD chair and Brandon Kua FCSI and Mario Sequeira FCSI, as representatives for SE Asia region and ANZC respectively,” she says. (See below for a full list of the new FCSI APD board).
A two-hour education seminar was also held in the afternoon titled ‘Latest trends and developments in the foodservice industry’. After the seminar, FCSI APD members were invited to present awards at the ACE (Asia Catering Equipment) award ceremony, as APD consultants played a vital role in this event.
The Asian Catering Equipment Awards
The Asian Catering Equipment Awards honors manufacturers and designers of foodservice equipment who have innovatively improved the current and future profitability and sustainability of the catering & hospitality industry. The ACE Awards distinguish excellent, first-rated and outstanding equipment and to further promote the idea of sustainable catering within the industry and beyond during Asia’s leading Food & Hospitality Tradeshow, HOFEX.
The judging panel featured FCSI professional consultants William Taunton FCSI, president, FCSI Worldwide; Brandon Kua FCSI, Citrus Consult Sdn Bhd Malaysia; Sidney Man FCSI, FCSI APD board trustee, Central Asia; Clara Pi MSC FCSI, interim chair, FCSI Asia Pacific, healthcare foodservice consultant, food and nutrition environmentalist; Jimmy Wong-AIA/FCSI, director, Orange design and Robert Mang FCSI, principal – Greater China, DiSHES-Independent Kitchen & Laundry Consultants.
- Visual design
- Ease of use
- Energy output
- Uniqueness of design
- Benefits and features
- Innovation technology applied
- Commercial success
- Customer satisfaction
- Uniqueness and originality
- Energy efficiency
- Design features that reduce food waste
- Design features that increase the effective life of the product and reduce the need for constant renewal
- Equipment manufacture and materials used
- Product performance
Result of the 2017 ACE AWARDS
- Innovative Light Equipment Award: Robot Cook from Robot Coupe
- Innovative Heavy Equipment Award: BKON from Franke
- Innovative Water/Energy-Saving Equipment Award: CUCIMIX from Firex
- Innovative Labour-Saving Equipment Award: RATIONAL SelfCookingCenter
- Innovative New Catering Equipment Award: The Control Freak from Polyscience
- Innovative Sustainable Catering Equipment Award: Granule Smart FreeFlow Edition from Granuldisk
- Innovative Visual Design Catering Equipment Award: Jobs from Orion
- “Chef’s favorite” Award – a selected group of Chefs rated shortlisted entries: Robot Coup.
New FCSI APD board announced
Following the HOFEX 2017 show, FCSI APD is pleased to announce the results of the recent elections for board of trustees, effective immediately.
The new FCSI APD Board is as below:
- Chair: John Walter Thomas, Sangster Design, Sydney, Australia. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Past chair/China representative: Clara Pi, China Rep. FCG. Hong Kong. email@example.com
- Secretary/treasurer: Toni Clarke, RT Hospitality Solutions. Queenstown, New Zealand. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Allied representative: Greg O’Connell, Moffat. Melbourne, Australia. email@example.com
- South East Asia representative: Brandon Kua, Citrus Consulting. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Brandon@citrusconsult.com.my
- North East Asia representative: Shigeru Suzuki, Inoue Office, Ltd. Osaka, Japan. S.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Australia/NZ representative: Mario Sequeira, Hospitality Total Services. Perth, Australia. Mario@hospitalitytotalservices,com.au
FCSI APD representatives on the Worldwide board are:
- John Walter Thomas FCSI, APD chair
- Clara Pi FCSI, past chair and WW secretary/treasurer
- Greg O’Connell, FCSI APD allied Representative