Noma’s chef-owner Rene Redzepi, who held the coveted Best Restaurant crown for three years before being knocked off the top-spot last year, celebrated his return to glory with his staff at London’s Guildhall on Monday evening.
Never content, Redzepi announced earlier in April that he would be temporarily relocating the Copenhagen-based restaurant to Japan in early 2015. Redzepi and the Noma crew, famed for their gastronomic connection to the Nordic terroir, will seek to apply their philosophy to Japanese produce and ingredients.
In a top-ten reshuffle, Spain’s El Celler de Can Roca moved down to the no 2 spot, with youngest Roca sibling Jordi taking the event’s inaugural Best Pastry Chef title. Chicago based Alinea moved from number 15 in 2013 to enter into the top ten at number 9.
The UK has two restaurants in the top 10 for the first time this year, with the Ledbury moving up from 13th place to number 10, joining Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, which has risen two places to number five this year.
In another nod to the London restaurant scene, Fergus Henderson who has, with St John, carved a place for himself as one of the most influential proponents of the nose-to-tail cooking philosophy, was awarded the Diners Club Lifetime achievement award.
The USA restaurant scene performed well, with seven restaurants in the top 50, matching Spain and France. Asia now has seven restaurants in the rankings, with Bangkok based Nahm climbing 19 places to lead the way for the ever-growing Asian restaurant scene at 13.
The Top Ten
- Noma, Copenhagen, Denmark – Last year’s position 2, nine years on the list
- El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain – Last year’s position 1, eight years on the list
- Osteria Francescana, Modena, Italy – Last year’s position 3, six years on the list
- Eleven Madison Park, New York, USA – Last year’s position 5, five years on the list
- Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, London, UK – Last year’s position 7, three years on the list
- Mugaritz, San Sebastian, Spain – Last year’s position 4, nine years on the list
- D.O.M, Sao Paulo, Brazil – Last year’s position 6, nine years on the list
- Arzak, San Sebastian, Spain – Last year’s position 8, 11 years on the list
- Alinea, Chicago, USA – Last year’s position 15, eight years on the list
- The Ledbury, London, UK – Last year’s position 13, four years on the list