Dining Services Consultant – Brailsford & Dunlavey
Brailsford & Dunlavey is seeking a dynamic dining services consultant who will be based out of our Washington, DC office.
Ambitious, diverse, multidisciplinary, entrepreneurial: these are all words that describe our team. But what ties B&D employees together is our excitement and passion for advising our clients throughout the facility development process. Whether interviewing students on a college campus, touring classrooms in an elementary school, or sitting with fans on a stadium’s opening day, we are driven by our purpose to advance communities. It starts with our own B&D community; it starts with you.
The primary focus of this position is to provide dining services planning and advisory services to Brailsford & Dunlavey’s (B&D’s) higher education and K-12 school clients. Typical services include:
Higher education clients:
- Market analyses, including stakeholder interviews, focus group and stakeholder interviews, electronic surveys, off-campus competition assessments, and demand studies.
- Program evaluations, including best practice reviews, campus assessments, and peer reviews.
- Facility reviews, including capacity evaluations, venue placement appraisals, aesthetic assessments, and health and sanitation reviews.
- Operational assessments, including contractor performance review (if applicable) and staffing, service, food quality, production, and delivery analyses.
- Financial analyses, including board, retail, and catering pricing, participation, and utilization assessments; profit and loss statement reviews; contract reviews; and comparisons with industry standards.
- Master planning activities, including new construction or renovation planning, program or concept redevelopment, pro forma development, and demand alignment.
- Contractor solicitation management, including RFP development, evaluation process management, contract development and negotiation, and contract implementation and transition management.
Elementary and secondary education clients:
- Program assessments, including identifying contemporary and cost effective solutions related to concepts and menus, food quality, allergy and dietary awareness, and regulatory compliance.
- Facility reviews, including kitchen, servery, and seating assessments, health and sanitation reviews, and capacity and function evaluations.
- Operational reviews, including evaluating service hours, customer service, site control and management, staffing, flow, and merchandising.
- Program finance analyses, including profit and loss reviews, operating cost evaluations, purchasing reviews, and, if appropriate, contractor conformance assessments.
- Market analyses, including demand studies and stakeholder assessments.
- Master planning activities, including capital improvement program reviews, demographic impact analyses, and district-wide plan integration assistance.
A B&D dining services consultant will typically manage three to six projects simultaneously. He/she will direct the activities of one or more analysts or other staff resources assigned to the project and ensure deliverables meet the client’s scope, schedule, and quality requirements in a timely and effective manner.
Dining services assignments often integrate with broader B&D planning projects involving one or more of the following areas: campus master planning, student housing, intercollegiate athletics, campus recreation, student unions, campus edge developments, and K-12 school projects. The consultant will work closely with other B&D employees to develop the comprehensive deliverables for these larger projects.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Manages a portfolio of dining services planning assignments. Closely monitors his/her assignments and ensures successful and timely completion of project management tasks and responsibilities.
- Develops, or directs the development of, planning client deliverables to include research, analysis, financial modeling, writing, document review, or task management.
- Serves as the primary client contact, communicating as needed to ensure appropriate project planning and follow through.
- Manages the financial requirements of assignments to include scope development, client invoicing, account reconciliation, and closeout. Conducts regular follow-up calls with clients to confirm B&D’s work quality and answer any questions pertaining to fees or expenses.
- Actively participates in B&D’s business development activities to include developing and managing potential clients, pursuing additional services opportunities, and helping other teams with their marketing efforts. Utilizes Microsoft CRM to manage and report on all marketing activities. Writes articles, presents at conferences, and engages in other marketing activities that promote the dining services practice and company.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in hospitality management, project management, finance, economics, or related field.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in the foodservice industry, preferably in higher education or K-12 schools.
- Previous dining services management or consulting experience.
- Valid U.S. driver’s license required.
Brailsford & Dunlavey is an equal opportunity employer.
Brailsford & Dunlavey participates in E-Verify.
Advance your career while advancing community.
Join the B&D team.
As catalysts for building community, Brailsford & Dunlavey advises our clients through complex issues and challenges related to facility development. Our strength is in utilizing both a tailored approach and collective national expertise to guide an idea from early concept definition through financing, design, construction, and operating start-up—maximizing value and mitigating risk every step of the way.
Working at B&D means more than having a job; it means having a career. We hire the best, the brightest, and the most committed professionals to collaborate in our high-performing, “work hard / play hard” culture.
If you are looking for a firm where you can gain valuable skills and experiences, implement innovative ideas, and advance your career, Brailsford & Dunlavey is the place.
Brailsford & Dunlavey is a national firm with offices in Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Charlotte, Columbus, Detroit, Irvine, New York City, and Washington, D.C.—and features a client base in all 50 United States.
Brailsford & Dunlavey offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Company paid medical/dental PPO coverage for full-time employees
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care
- Tuition assistance
- Long term and short term disability insurance
- Life insurance
To apply and learn more about the position please visit:
Jessica Kelley, PHR, SHRM-CP | DIRECTOR OF HUMAN RESOURCES
BRAILSFORD & DUNLAVEY, Inc. | www.programmanagers.com
1140 Connecticut Ave. NW, Suite 400, Washington, DC 20036